World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
dreamed 2008/9/5 by Wayan
for Jack London and his Sea-Wolf
I read Dokebi Bride, a Korean graphic novel by Marley (she uses just the one name). Her heroine Sunbi comes from a family of Korean shamans. Her grandma protected their fishing village, but it was a lonely life. Her mom had the gift too, but couldn't bear the spooks and monsters--or being shunned. Killed herself. After Grandma's death, Sunbi's sent to Seoul. She feels people's auras and secrets, but can't always interpret them--in one scene, Sunbi senses that her teacher (an evangelical Christian) dislikes her, but she can't recognize religious bigotry and revulsion!
That little scene hit me hard, since I grew up sensing auras too. Though America, unlike Korea, has no concept of shamans, good or bad. Not that having a cultural role helped Sunbi much...
I'm in Oakland, by the Bay,
near Jack London Square.
New McMansions shadow me,
behind the working piers.
Mariners and yuppies, now
there's a queasy stew!
a dash of tourist too.
In the channel wave-waltz
fishers and a houseboat--no, for
house or boat too grand by far:
Mansion-Ship I'd call her.
On her deck, orange trees bloom.
Piano blooms on bridge.
Oasis of clean scent amid
the gulls and fish and tar!
Timidly I hope to tour.
Walk out their private pier.
A bronze girl leans down to smile
"Show you round? Why, sure!"
She leads me through the Garden
in summerdress of flowers,
a swaying tide of hips and swell:
seductive charm and skill.
Minutes pass before I see
that she's a made-up man:
drag I've ever seen!
Flawless? One thing's wrong with him.
Deeper than his beauty-skin--
a thug streak anchored deep!
No action tips me off, it's like
that silent Hayward Fault, or your
child who reeks of smoke.
But sheer aura, not a scent--
the subtlest sociopathic glint.
So I finesse her purring offer for
"a more personal, intimate tour."
Chicks-with-dicks do not appeal
to me, but that is not my fear:
I fear the Tour of No Return;
How many have been led?
I fear these half-ton harborseals
are truly tourist-fed.
Whispers inside dismiss all this:
"Just your antimale prejudice!
What's a creepy aura prove?"
All the same... I smile and leave.
I think intuition kept
Sea-Wolf's flensing knife at bay,
though I saw no stain of proof
Wolf Larson lurked that day.
Jack London said he meant to warn
that Darwin raised the pirate flag
justifying wolves again--
he feared the Bluebeard Drag.
NOTES IN THE MORNING
- Jack London Square: down by the Oakland docks, it's a tourist intrusion on a scruffy waterfront. The yuppie/salt tension in the dream is real. How ironic! Yuppifying a working-class dock, then naming it for a writer who championed workers and called the rich sharks.
- Mansion-ship: You sure it's not a Charles Manson-ship? It's sure not the start of a beautiful relation-ship.
- Bronze girl: in Jack London Square stands a big sexy pagan statue called Cheemah--Gaia, by another name. I like her--she's done in a grandiose style unlike modern public American statuary. Cheemah's as flamboyant as drag; and she's dressed like the girl/boy in my dream.
- a legendary serial killer who married and murdered wife after wife for prying into his private affairs--namely, his dungeon. I've read that Bluebeard was meant as a fable warning what men would turn into without the belief in a punitive God. But Sunbi's God-fearing teacher emulated Bluebeard: she too blames and punishes her victim not for doing or even speaking; for mere seeing.
- Wasn't there also a pirate captain called Bluebeard? Which brings up...
- Jack London's novel The Sea-Wolf tells of Captain Wolf Larson, a Social Darwinist. Rule by the strong! Wolf-eat-dog morality. He lures the puppyish narrator onto his ship, as Bluebeard lured women...
- Something's wrong, can't quite tell what: my half-blindness in the dream echoes Sunbi, who senses her teacher's malice without understanding why (part religious bigotry, part fear that Sunbi sees through her facade.) Inside this dream-figure I saw a complex stew of flirtation, sensuality, and delight in the gender imposture, almost hiding a much deeper level of cold, dissociated butchery. But I didn't want to believe in such malice, so I nearly rejected what I saw!
- Intuition saves my life. Ignore it and die!
- I underestimate how much my Sunbi-strangeness alarms others. Why shouldn't normal people shun me? I do this Sunbi Drag nonstop--sense secrets, answer unspoken thoughts, respond to unexpressed moods. And then wonder why others shy away. Because they find me creepy, duhhhhhhh!
- This is Dreamverse #22. Every day, a dream-poem! Regardless of how I feel, how much I peel, what I reveal. What a drag! The next Dreamverse: Small Miracles
LISTS AND LINKS:
Only in San Francisco (OK, Oakland) -
social class -
out of the closet! -
homophobia and other biases -
You Are Lunch -
dream humor -
dream puns -
living with ESP -
dream poems -
Dreamverses project - the next Dreamverse,
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: email@example.com - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites