World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
dreamed 2008/9/26 by Wayan.
A friend drags me off to a talk on beers.
"In the Land of Sky-Blue Waters, years
ago, a laid-off man named Hamm
brewed on at home. As he began
to starve, he made his breakthrough,
his Wunderbeer! From bitter brew,
he rose to golden foam--a meister who
fizzed up from dreg to head.
But then a buccaneer banker stole
Hamm's brewery--hijacked control,
kicked Hamm out on the street."
(So? Aren't both long dead?)
"But I was lucky enough to meet
poor Hamm: the snowy Lakes he fled,
to beg now in my own neighborhood.
Saved by our East Bay weather good!
"Hamm begs on my (next slide please) street.
Under this (focus) bridge the Founder sleeps.
From this (click, advance) red steel
dumpster pulls his stale-bread meal."
How dare he bare the lurker's lair?
We could track poor Hamm to help--
or harm! Obscurity's his only shield
on the curbs of Emeryville.
Our speaker means well, but enlisting us
may just endanger his homeless cause:
Hamm, sandwiched (po' boy!) in need.
Publicity's risky as banker's greed.
So think before you cry "O woe!"
Predators circle, drawn by flame.
And some rare souls to lack and fame
are wed. Remember Poe.
- Hamm's Beer: when I was a kid, San Francisco had a brewery with a fifteen-story animated sign made of thousands of lights, shifting from "Hamms" to "M-m-m" to splashing water and overflowing beer. Amazing for its era, but long gone; slain by better beer.
- "The land of sky-blue waters": slogan of Hamm's Beer.
- Robbed by bankers: today a friend groused "Why do my taxes bail out the banks? Their investors & CEOs got rich, let them pay! The Savings and Loan bailout taught 'em they're immune, so they did it again! They won't learn caution; so we gotta teach 'em fear."
- The snowy Lakes he fled: Hamm's Beer was based in the Great Lakes. Brrr.
- East Bay, Emeryville: ten miles east of San Francisco, with warmer, less foggy weather. Ideal climate if you're homeless.
- Fame plus poverty, like Poe: a friend just gave me a Poe Action Doll (with raven). The Action Doll's only action is, of course, to starve.
- This is Dreamverse #31. Every day, a dream-poem! Even if I starve (total income this month: $0.)
LISTS AND LINKS:
food and drink -
rich and poor -
friends - dumpster-dive again in
Dawn's Dream - meet Poe, in
Annabel Rose -
business and corporate capitalism -
dream poetry -
dream humor (such as it is) - the
Dreamverses project - the next Dreamverse:
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites