World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
dreamed 2008/9/9 by Wayan.
I look across the Mission flats, from Bernal Hill's knee.
A log floats and bobs in the sky. No, it swims the air,
a skyshark. But a leaner slender wonder! Barracuda.
That's no fish but a rigid craft. Great graceful deltafins,
still too small for wings. So what holds the airfish up? No
science I know. The airacuda swoops toward me, grows,
but eerily silent. I hunger for thunder. I'd even settle for
a firm hum.
The fish skims so low I duck; seems but a few yards long.
But though both eyes see the miracle clear, all parallax is gone.
Stealth technology! Blocked stereoscopy dizzies my brain.
Jewels flash--portholes, or runninglights small as my thumb?
Liner or drone?
The fish wheels slowly (if a mere drone! If ship, why then
she's agile) and descends again, buzzing my head, to squat
(and fill) a parking lot. She's huge. And then American
Marines pour down.
A second rounder langorous fish swims sinuous until
I'm sure its antigrav's another type. Kana on her hull.
America, Japan--twin inventions, hushed, but now they'll rule
Earth, Mars, Moon.
Do airfish swim for peace, the stars, the end of man?
The troops ply me with spoken code. And I... respond!
Blink in shock, and yet... out preposterous phrases come.
Forgot my own advisory role in their planetary plan.
What have I done?
- Fins in the Mission: today I biked past a mural of a mermaid on Shotwell near 23rd...
- Leaner slender wonder: may echo George Bush's talk of a "kinder, gentler" politics. How many dead?
- Jewels wink: biking home in the dark I startled as a diode flashed in a car I passed--an alarm, I guess. As if Sam Spade on stakeout lit an azure cigarette.
- Without stereo vision, scale's uncertain: 1: today I wore glasses while I wrote on screen. Made things seem distant--and thus huge. Sharper, but weird-feeling. 2: Photos lack parallax and scale. This impacts art! A fine three-dimensional composition may flatten into clutter as a drawing; and only the context reveals size. It's why artists need to learn drawing and painting from life.
- "America, Japan--twin inventions, hushed": the two dream-ships seemed so different that I suspected American and Japanese researchers had stumbled on two different antigravity drives and kept them secret, though they eventually formed a joint project.
- I aid a secret American-Japanese military (?) project: for me this is shocking. I was raised as a Gandhian pacifist! In yesterday's Dreamverse I critiqued Kristi Martel's song dissing ALL war. I found myself objecting that fighting slavery or genocide is quite justifiable. I reserve judgment about this dream's mysterious project. The Airacuda may be a peaceful scout ship--or a weapon. But even if it is, it MAY be used to keep the peace, not break it.
- I rattle off the password: awake I'm out of the loop, but my dream's in on the secret.
- ACTION 1: Write and post my dream critiquing Martel's song. And this follow-up. For the world's full of thugs; cops have a role.
- ACTION 2: Patience! And trust the long haul. A secret project's building a strange, beautiful, powerful thing inside me, whose scale I can't even grasp.
- This is Dreamverse #25. Every day, a dream-poem! Whatever its import.
LISTS AND LINKS:
size matters -
privacy and secrets -
warrior codes, and
dream poems - this Dreamverse answers the previous:
Invoking the Animal Powers (or is it Provoking? -
Dreamverses project - the next Dreamverse:
Birds on Fire - the airacuda returns:
King Kong Crab
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: email@example.com - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites