World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
Musician and Foxtail
Dreamed 2009/2/14 by Wayan; Dreamverse #40.
Palo Alto in the rain. Umbrella overhead.
Gleaming shops, slick black lots; I'm following a band.
I only know the bassist. Scarecrow of a girl.
Dark raindappled jeans, red hair. Shy sly smile.
She and her bandmates splash up the steps
of a house thirty years ago I knew well.
Still it resonates, that shell--
back then, called Prometheus. On psychodrama nights
hippies met, in conclave-ring--no stage apart for us.
From rim you bravely deeped a breath
to bare whate'er you dare.
Inner Theatre's where
I learned the depths a soul could sound
when centered, seen by all.
We dove into encounter, passion-full.
But now just bones and dust abound
in counterculture's lair.
Oh really? Slow the door gold-gapes,
kitchen warm. Band-silhouettes greet
their ulti mate. Her face heart-shaped,
amiable, sultry, ringlet-framed
in russet or dark blonde.
Purple tanktop, green wrap-skirt
(down to secret ankle feet)
parting at the back to free
a long leaf-shaped... tail?
Fish-vertical, no beaver she!
Cutout ovals inset the tailsides,
never bored clean through.
Stiff paper by its spring, her tail
sweeps a sprawling arc when she
turns, as wide as she is tall.
Even as human the singer's hot,
but irresistable tailed:
a Regency fox, our Lady Reynardine!
And her air's so fox-natural
that I forget, enthralled,
her vixen's masquerade,
not born. But then aren't all
true kitsune self-made?
NOTES IN THE MORNING
THE NEXT DAY
- Psychodrama: true. I went for several years--watched, played, made friends. Psychodrama's on my mind because tomorrow I'm seeing a play called Cuckoo, by Madison Clell, about discovering she was multiple and getting to know herselves. Each actor gets to play a couple of Clell's alter egos, plus others in her life; quite psychodramatic!
- Cute blonde: Ama, in Juliet Marillier's The Dark Mirror. Nominally an exchange student, Ama's really a political hostage from the Northern Isles. She's one of the few friendly figures in our heroine Tuala's world.
- Girl with a fox tail: also from The Dark Mirror; clever red-haired Ferada, who Tuala calls "Fox Girl". Again, a friendly figure; Ferada helps Tuala and her boyfriend, defying pressure from Ferada's mom-from-hell.
- Kitsune: fox-people in Japanese lore. The traditional tales paint them sneaky, but they've always been friends in my dreams. But then I'm not too human either.
- Not born, self-made: echoes a line from e e cummings: "a world of made is not a world of born".
- Music: I've been looking for other musicians to play with. Keep my eyes open for these two!
I go see Cuckoo. An intense show--but strangely fun, despite the dark subject. The actresses who play Madison's alts get to go all out; they clearly have a lot of fun getting to regress to a bratty inner zoo. There's a freedom and a glee in being an alt--embodying one mood or memory, your passion gains a purity rarely seen among normal souls. Not to idealize multiplicity; but it's great on stage.
After the show, I talk to the star and playwright Madison Clell, and Lisa Drostova too. Both really cute! They don't physically resemble the two dream girls, but do have similar energy; I think the dream anticipated meeting them.
Neither one mentioned being a musician as well as an actor, but now I wonder. Certainly the dream's saying either "find more musicians to play with" or "get back into acting"... or both. But also, I hear a further hint: "Don't SEEK what you like, BECOME it! Build the right tail, be what you want. You grow into roles only if you step onstage to play them."
LISTS AND LINKS:
masks and disguises -
clothes and fashion -
multiple personality -
music and musicians -
animal people -
pencil dream-art -
Silicon Valley - A second girl grows to fill her role in the
Mermaid's Dressing Room - Wayan becomes a critter in Palo Alto:
the Dreamverse project - the next Dreamverse:
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites