World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
A Retribution of Mermaids
Dreamed Summer 2011
by Bruno Oliveira
I’m on an isolated island in the middle of the endless sea, covered by green forests and a deceiving peaceful look. I know the island holds a base of some genetic engineering company who blackmailed me once, and I seek… well, not revenge, but some retribution. I find a small lobby overlooking the sea, with comfortable sofas and a huge LED TV, where I meet two other people who seem like my allies –- one of them is an old bully back from the school days, the other none other than Angelina Jolie. Together, we find a platform of concrete where lies a helicopter. We try to steal it, but we are spotted and forced to take cover. In the following gunfight, the enemies escape, and supposedly the isle is in full alert.
A missile shot from afar falls near us, and a second one opens some sort of underwater stream of fresh, greenish water that slowly changes the shape of the island, sinking it. We observe everything from a small hill before deciding to swim to a boat of the company. We have to believe one of our accomplices, who’s in the boat, can still be trusted.
The boat is empty. Inside, we find a room full of mummified sailors and some other stuff who looks like it has been pulled from some sort of ruins or underwater wreckage. Among them, we find the most valuable thing – a small lock of hair, gold and bright pink, that belonged to a mermaid.
Strange dream with no definite symbolism or anything, but notable for its length and the fact I knew who I was and what I was doing there right from the start. Dreams with a backstory are not so common for me.
- “Water that slowly changes the shape of the island, sinking it.” Honestly I wish I could say more what that means. My entries are so messy!
- A bully I mostly tried to avoid, and Angelina Jolie? I wish I could say he's past and she's future, but I'm not that optimistic. Maybe sides of my own personality? I have a mild MPD [multiple personality disorder] so that could be it.
- Warmth and green and water: Despite the darker theme of retribution, such dreams usually happen when I'm in a good mood.
No symbolism? Really?
- Blackmail, retribution: maybe old emotional blackmail you're trying to undo now?
- Pink and gold hair could be literal. Do any of your friends have blonde or pink hair? If so, maybe the treasure is some strength that person has.
- Mermaid: some powerful or magical part of you, hiding undersea? Traditionally mermaids were beautiful, vain, magical, seductive, heartless; but then there's The Little Mermaid (the Hans Christian Anderson original, or Disney's Ariel? Very different characters, both unlike mermaids in folklore.) Depends what mermaids mean to YOU.
- Treasure found undersea: maybe a lost memory or attitude you're getting back? The whole retribution theme fits the idea you're reliving old pain to retrieve something you lost. But what?
LISTS AND LINKS:
anger and desire for
threats and bullying -
the dead -
sunken treasure -
fashion and hair -
light and color -
multiple personality -
memory and amnesia -
digging up buried/sunken stuff -
Bruno dreamt before of floods and bombs in
War in the Ring -
Bruno's a pregnant girl in
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites