World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
Dreamed by Jim Shaw, c.1994.
1: I was looking for a place to masturbate at my folks' house but the bathroom was a large bathtub with several inches of water.
2. I was in my hometown looking for "silver star" medals (given to wounded soldiers) in a thrift store but it was closing. I snuck in & in the back room, Chris Wilder was looking for surfboards & Meg was playing a wide piano-swimming pool with built-in rhythm track.
3. Marnie & a friend & I were in this odd gated rail station in NYC & had no hotel to stay in. We walked around & went to a semi-posh restaurant & were seated in the budget section. Our friend whispered to the waiter about our lack of funds & made a deal for free food. She stripped off her clothes & struck various venus-esque poses. I couldn't figure out the menu which was to me an incomprehensible bunch of colors & symbols so I ordered a chicken sandwich.
4. I ordered a pizza but I was brought a gutted & pressed golden retriever, just like my dog. Its liver was a meat patty & it was still alive, so a chef came out to kill it.
5. In the San Joaquin Valley, Marnie & my folks find a hotel-thrift store run by a former L.A. collage artist. I find a peculiar hair wrap for Marnie & then a set of dolls designed to teach girls to be prostitutes.
6. A strange animated interspecies sex/political cartoon of a rhino rubbing butts with a bear-elephant.
SOURCE: Jim Shaw's Dreams, Jan. 1995, Smart Art Press. Dreamed 1987-95, probably 1994.
Six dreams in one night! Shaw drew them all as one laconic, crowded page. Yet don't they break rather neatly into three pairs?
- 1,2: Smooth shiny flooded things--the bathroom-tub, then the glass piano. Paired vertical things too--his erection, then surfboards leaning on the wall.
- 3,4: Naked, vulnerable creatures in a restaurant--his broke friend stripping for food, then that gutted, suffering dog just like his own. We've gone from frustration to empathy over others' pain.
- 5,6: Satirical caricatures (first dolls, then animation) on sex & politics, both with titles added--"Tammy Tart & Pals", then "E.T. too, Brute?" The first seems obvious: Barbie's role-modeling. But the second's more mysterious: is that the Republican elephant? Who's the rhino, then? Rich old ugly thick-skinned horny guys, as in his dream The Rich Wreck the Well? Whoever it is, we've gone from pain to political anger. And high time, too, if you ask me.
LISTS AND LINKS:
epic dreams -
musical instruments -
nudity & exhibitionism -
dolls (mostly living!) -
interspecies sex -
not many rhinoceri in the Dreambank, but here's a rhino writer:
The Guy Who Scripts My Dreams -
pencil dream art -
more Jim Shaw
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites