World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
The Single Die
Dreamed 1994/10/17 by Chris Wayan
My sisters and I are little again. I'm teaching Miriel, my younger sister, to play a board game, though we lack the proper board. Normally, in the game, you progress in a zigzag along a double row of squares like a suburban sidewalk. Because we lack the board, we imagine the square path around a chair, on the floor... Moves are determined by the roll of a single die. Looks like chance, but really you're supposed to influence the die telekinetically, using the power of synchronicity. That's what the game's for, of course--it trains you to will changes in luck itself!
My sisters and I know that "the single die" is a deliberate pun: you're psychically influencing Death itself! Each move represents one life--and one death. Squares are like years, or groups of them: whole phases of life. Some squares are good, some bad...
Althea, the middle kid of us three, teaches Miriel mind techniques, while I play referee and explain the rules. Miriel quickly gets frustrated and bored, partly because she gets bad rolls. It's not lack of psychic ability, which I know she has from previous tests, but sheer frustration at not being able to throw the die very well yet with her paws.
Did I mention both my sisters are kittens? We're cat people. And Miriel, being very young, still lacks fully opposable thumbs. They develop later in cat people than in humans. Her distractability may also be partly physical, a kitten's restlessness. She finds it frustrating to be so intelligent, an old soul, in a body so young it hasn't even had open eyes all that long...
In a way, the dream is comforting. "Your troubles don't mean you're on the wrong path. You handle advanced mental and spiritual tasks just fine--you just haven't mastered the social and material planes. But your breed matures slowly in those areas. Your eyes will open, your paws will coordinate, your thumbs will grasp. Just not overnight."
- "The single die" is a sentence! A true one. Single people are less healthy. Life without love is less fun--the body gets bored and loses interest in life's game. If I can't heal from the abuse in my past and become free to love soon, I may wanna die...
- My sisters and I bewitch the die = literal! My sisters and I don't just all have high IQs, we also score high on ESP tests, have weird luck (skewing statistical odds), crash automated systems when we're upset, and stumble into serendipitous meetings. I actually find it easier to work on this mystical level (which most folks deny is even possible) than to...
- Throw the die = physical action! Like normal humans. Hard for me for PHYSICAL reasons, not psychological ones! I'm low-energy, allergic, and rather clumsy.
- It takes time for us kittens to grow opposable thumbs. Is the dream saying psychics really are slower to mature physically, or just that our bodies will always lag behind our minds?
- The double row you meander down = waking and dreaming! Back and forth like a stitch.
- Two rows and only a single die = slow progress! Only a quarter as fast as Monopoly or backgammon, with their two dice and a single, straight path. Patience! Weirdos develop along multiple paths at once--of course we progress more slowly than simple folks living in a single reality!
- Miriel = my sexual side, underdeveloped because I went the other way, focused on mind-work. In my family, Miriel's designated role was the sweet little sex kitten, despite her intellectual brilliance and psychic readings off the scale.
- Frustrated, no thumbs = Miriel really is frustrated right now, trying to be self-supporting. She's fantastically intuitive but can't hustle up business--she's just not an entrepreneur. Why? Not a joiner! A cat who walks alone.
And one more message, comforting or not. "Your maturation is so different, why do you even bother thinking of yourselves as human?"
LISTS AND LINKS:
our childhood ESP experiments -
dream siblings -
animal people -
Look, Ma, no hands! -
dream puns -
frustration dreams -
family dreams -
telekinesis in dreams -
dreams on ESP in general -
child prodigies -
dreams on dreams - A predictive dream of Miriel and a sex kitten exactly a year earlier:
Shirtgirl - more
calendrical and anniversary dreams
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites