World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
Girl in the Water
Two dreams, 2000/10/7, by Wayan
For the last two Native Americans in San Fernando Valley
and the last two native San Franciscans in J-town
I'm building the World Dream Bank--as I have been all year. Obsessed. Today I tackle a pack of nightmares: Arteria, Bill Cosby's Wife, and In El Rio, or, Drinking with Filler.
Take a break. Walk around our hill with my friends Patagia and Alder, seeing Open Studios (artists sell direct from their houses or workplaces. Fun, cuz you get to see how other artists work.) The most striking: Diane Estrin's sexy photos, manipulated physically, not digitally--she takes giant Polaroids and either monoprints from the gunk or the emulsion peeled off in hot water, the skin manipulated and laid on other papers. Girl with a zigzag gingery flower, the same girl flying through dreamspace, back arched...
Dream 1: To San Fernando Spring
Teen on a train on a quest. She alights at San
Fernando Station. Not now, nor quite the past
But a mythic fork of braided time--a pristine
California undrilled--the black gold let sleep--
Flowering under blue, not our sad brown
She meets a young tribal girl astride
A gracile doe. Her guide. A buck beside;
Stouter guest-mount. On the two ride
In a cloud of deer, elusive herd, a mere
Shadow on pale sage. Over the hills
Verdant. Paintbrush, poppy, lupine, lush
Beyond the San Fernando of our time
where just a remnant flash in spring. Here
Chin-high grass and redolent herbs tuft
Hill-shoulders. In every sweet oak-fold
Joyous they bound. Shade. Iris-blue.
Doe and child lead the quester to the Dell.
Bay laurels shade the banks of mint
Cupping the wild-violet spring. Here
they'll sleep tonight and pray
Soul-work Eden isn't how I thought
Of San Fernando. Yet if you pried wide
Our tract homes, shy-shelled as their
tortoise ancestors, to divine within...
What slow hearts beat inside? What
Dreams under skin?
Dream 2: Sleeping Beauty's Attitude Problem
I'm in the lobby of a silver condo tower
Near Japantown Mall. In the marble center
of the lobby stands a glass cube of water
Dim-lit. No mere aquarium--looming taller
Than me. Enwombs a teen we know. Her hair
fans out lithe as smoke. Floats kelpish on her
back, skin rippled gold, lids shut in slumber,
Or meditation. Does she breathe air or water?
Some residents huddle and gossip about her.
Warn me "Watch out! She has a foul temper.
So catty!" Purrhaps. But whenever girl or tiger
Swims, baring amber, how monkeys do chatter!
I'm sure these antiflatterers sincerely hate her
Attitude. Beatitude. But I sense a soul calmer,
Serener than a Buddhist coastal otter.
Think I'll trust the dreamer in the water.
NOTES IN THE MORNING
1: To San Fernando Spring
- Deer, joy, speed, green: Diane Estrin's joyful, sexy, hand-massaged photos had this feeling. But why deer?
- Deer, nature: felt like a weird blend of Bambi and Princess Mononoke--both cartoons marketed in the US to kids, yet quite stark films about how Nature feels about getting raped by humanity (both films are reviewed in The Year's Best Fantasy & Horror, an anthology I'm reading). But this dream was idyllic, happy, humans a part of nature. Why? Oh!
- This dream echoes Deer Lake, a dream I recently wrote up for the World Dreambank.
2: Sleeping Beauty's Attitude Problem
- Apartment tower: I went to Open Studio today, saw a lot of artist's spaces. But none looked like this.
- Aquarium girl: if I'm dreaming Disney tonight, this is Sleeping Beauty in her glass case! That makes the neighbors... the Seven Moral Dwarves.
- Attitude problem: My friends Alder & Patagia said I was standoffish, even snappish, on that Open Studio walk. My dream's a bit skeptical. They're never snappish? Standoffish, yes--I'm planning how to write dream-tales.
- Floating on back: here in California this hints at two specifics it mightn't elsewhere: in Esalen, meditators in isolation-tanks float just so; and in the kelp forests just below Esalen, sea otters rest just so, too. That otter wasn't just there to rhyme.
Let the monkey-gossips chatter!
- What's in common? girls, water, nature-magic; opposed by air pollution, gossip (information pollution!), conformists (social pollution?)
- Dreamwork and meditation: building the World Dreambank takes focus--and focus requires withdrawal.
- ACTION: keep dreaming! Sleep by the magic spring. Or in it.
You don't have to let them matter.
LISTS AND LINKS:
To San Fernando Spring:
time travel &
parallel worlds -
Native Americans -
dreamwork - a later dream of this spring:
She Lives to 140
Sleeping Beauty's Attitude Problem:
nudity & exhibitionism -
nags & critics -
truth & lies -
sexy creatures -
dream poems -
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: email@example.com - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites