World Dream Bank
add a dream -
art gallery -
Dreamed 2010/9/30 by Wayan
I'm crossing the English Channel on my bike
over a calm and busy-boated sea
like a fat-tire Jesus, haloless. My wake
cleaves a long V--a gull-wing of white.
Not new to me, this Levitation Lite, but ice
upbore me then, in Greenland's vicious wind:
I skimmed on floes, sailed on gale-force wind,
blown like a tern. Or a sleet. My red bike
the lone hot spark on the merciless ice.
This outing on the warm and purring sea
is a meadowlark after that stark plain of white.
Race pelicans and laugh; leave them in my wake.
Wind through fishers. Wave. Plovers circle thrice.
Bike on toward Calais; Dover's chalk recedes, white
Between green sea and cerulean sky. Until I wake.
NOTES IN THE MORNING
- English Channel, summer: saw Doc Martin, a BBC drama set in warm Cornwall. Not your typical cold rainy England!
- Biking: independent, efficient, but solitary. Can't easily cram friends on.
- Greenland, ice: it's been a hard year; my mom died in April. But this dream shows a thaw.
Deer Abstract or Anorexic?
- Bike on water: recurrent dream motif (example: Lucid Living). Not quite as impressive as Jesus walking on water! Water-biking...
All these did seem to be less about me than distant friends, lovers, exes. Groundhog Chris finally crawled out of grief's winter burrow (my mom's death) and looked around.
- Implies pipsqueak miracles, like predictive or telepathic dreams
- Hints I'm skittering around in the oneirosphere, possibly visiting others, not just dealing with internal issues
- Prompts me not to over-psychologize the night's other dreams:
- She's Jerking Their Cable
- The Hot Tub Heist
- Nude Cello Recital
- Deer Abstract or Anorexic?
- Hamster Horror! (so much worse than Hammer Horror)
- The Stegosaur Mountains
- The poem is a truncated sestina--an unrhymed verseform whose lines each end in one of six words, in a precise order, for six verses; then a three-line tornada crams in all six keywords. As the dream was short, I wrote just two verses not six. And my tornada's loose--I ignored the traditional keyword order, and 'wind' with long i and 'thrice' for the requisite ice are stretches (and a tip o' the hat to Coleridge: 'weave a circle round him thrice'. Search THAT in your DuckDuckGo.)
LISTS AND LINKS:
by the sea -
walking on water -
snow & ice -
joy - dream
art experiments -
digital painting -
World Dream Bank homepage - Art gallery - New stuff - Introductory sampler, best dreams, best art - On dreamwork - Books
Indexes: Subject - Author - Date - Names - Places - Art media/styles
Titles: A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - IJ - KL - M - NO - PQ - R - Sa-Sh - Si-Sz - T - UV - WXYZ
Email: email@example.com - Catalog of art, books, CDs - Behind the Curtain: FAQs, bio, site map - Kindred sites